An item I saw on some forum somewhere reminded me of a hike I took one day in Hong Kong.
Seems a dog in Australia let himself get too cozy with a python and ended up in the belly of the beast:
It does happen from time to time.
Not long after arriving in Hong Kong I was on a hike with my girlfriend in the Sai Kung Country Park, one of the few large patches of oceanside greenery remaining in that crowded little spot.
We had just disembarked at the last bus stop and were walking along a sidewalk on the last strip of road before the trailhead, when Amy let out a SHRIEK and jumped off the curb.
Most of it was in the bushes in shadow, but getting closer and hauling it out by the cord to get a better look, here’s what we saw:
I still don’t know what happened to the snake’s head, but we think it might have been sawed off for stuffing as a souvenir by the same person who wrapped a rope and dragged it to the place we found it.
Nearly tripping over a headless, 2.5-metre snake with a dead dog’s legs sticking out isn’t everyone’s idea of the ideal way to begin a hike, but after we’d gotten over the initial shock and taken a few pictures, we pulled the carcass back into the bushes and carried on.
Update: Reader Amanda left a comment saying that’s no dog! By the look of the tapered tail, the delicate feet and retractable claws, it’s a CAT.