Enjoy Canada Day!
1. I am in Canada right now! Not only in Canada, but in Ottawa, the nation’s capital.
2. I have never been anywhere near Ottawa on Canada Day.
3. The Queen of Canada is also in Ottawa today as part of a nine-day Royal Tour. As I make last-minute changes to this post, the Queen is standing in front of the Parliament Buildings as a band of Mounties in full-dress regalia plays O Canada. To an expat American on a trip back home, this would be like being in Washington, DC on July 4th listening to a stirring speech by a resurrected George Washington.
4. The Queen of Canada does not have a beard, despite appearances as shown on the only photo posted on this blog without attribution… in other words, stolen. So sue me. WordPress.com encourages you to copy stuff these days anyway!
6. Sorry, as of four weeks ago, Queen Charlotte Islands is now officially known as Haida Gwaii. Prounounced Hide-a-gwei, it really means “cold and wet as fuck.”
7. Canada’s coastline is the longest in the world at 208,080 kilometers. About 5km of that is swimmable for seven days in summer.
8. Poutine, a rich, gooey mess and major contributor to the crisis in Canada’s healthcare system, was invented in Drummondville, Quebec. Or somewhere else, depending on who you’re talking to.
9. I will not be enjoying poutine as I used to do when living here. I’m also dragging around about 20 fewer pounds.
10. I must return to the CBC coverage of Canada Day. So no 10th fact or opinion this time.