A cross-border ski-doo trip to hospital

Skiing Ischgl Samnaun Ian with patrollerIt took a good half-hour for the ski patrol to arrive by ski-doo after we first sent word we’d need them.   As we were waiting we heard the unmistakable sound of a helicopter approaching, and I groaned – no, please, not a helicopter ride!

The patrollers hopped off the machine and got to work pumping up an inflatable brace after assessing my situation.  By tapping on the bottom of my foot and seeing I wasn’t writhing in agony, they were sure there was no bone breakage, but were very careful nevertheless in sliding me in, because every little movement of the leg hurt.

Many people had stopped while we were waiting to ask if they should send word, and we thanked them all kindly, but now that help had arrived, everyone just whizzed past.  Unfortunately, the patrollers still needed help to hoist me into the sled once they got me on the inflatable stretcher, but they couldn’t get anyone to stop.  So the little  red-haired girl got a grip on one end as the two of them took up the other, and in one lunge I was plunked down and then strapped in for the ride to the clinic.

This was all happening one sunny afternoon at 2,700 metres in Ischgl, Austria, but we were staying over the border in Samnaun, Switzerland.  Ischgl and Samnaun were two separate areas until an expansion joined them up in 1987, so now you can get a lift ticket that covers both.

Ischgl Samnaun map

The ride to the Ischgl clinic was a bit of fun, actually.  I now know what it feels like to have everyone stop, stare, and tell themselves: thank hell it’s not me.

At the clinic they had me walk around a bit, which I actually managed with the brace, but they told me I’d be in a hospital for a few days, offering to fly me by helicopter down the valley in Austria.

“Uhhhh… that might be a bit too much trouble,” I stammered out, not only unsure whether my insurance would cover a helicopter air ambulance at two bucks per blade rotation – low estimate! – but what about the red-haired girl?  How would she make her way back to where we were staying in Switzerland?  They might be joined at the mountaintop, but to reach Samnaun village from Ischgl village you first have to head down to the junction of two valleys and then go up the other.  It’s a long way, and it was late in the day.

“OK,” they said, “what we can do is tell the Samnaun patrol we have a victim to pass over to them.  You’ll both be taken by ski-doo up to the border and from there the Swiss will take you down to the clinic in Samnaun.”

This time I was the one in the rear passenger seat of the ski-doo and the red-haired girl riding shotgun as we revved our way back up to the pass to the Samnaun side.

A patroller was waiting on his ski-doo at the border, and before we knew it we were on our way down the other side to the top of the aerial tramway, where a man was waiting with a wheelchair.  The patroller parked the machine and helped us squeeze in with all our gear among the other passengers for the tram-ride down, where at the bottom an ambulance was waiting for the short ride to the clinic in Samnaun.  At every link in the chain there was someone waiting to take over.

In the Samnaun clinic they definitely diagnosed the ripped quadriceps tendon, and set me up for an ambulance ride down the valley a little less than an hour away in Scuol, Switzerland.

Cash or credit card, sir?  I do hope to get some of it back….


Marty Ian Scuol hospital Switzerland balconyIf my first-ever serious ski injury had to happen somewhere, I was pretty lucky to land up in hospital in Scuol.   From the moment of injury to the operating table barely more than six hours had elapsed, a crucial point as I’ve since learned.  The earlier this injury is worked on, the better the chances of a full recovery.

I’m going to write the hospital staff a card today to thank them for everything they did.  Perhaps they figure they were just doing their jobs, but I was so impressed.  From the first wheel through the door to good-bye six days later, the care was excellent.  The doctors were clearly professional and at the same time approachable and friendly, I was given my choice of anaesthesia by the director of the hospital himself, the morphine as I emerged from the epidural was offered and gladly taken, the nurses were often asking how I was, what they could do for me, and somehow also knew when it was time to leave me to just rest.

And to help me get through my last full day, a good friend who’d read of my plight on Facebook and who was planning a trip to Nice from Munich via Switzerland offered to drop by for a visit.  He arrived on the morning of the best weather we’d had since the day of the injury, brilliant warm sunshine bearing down on the balcony.   We had a chat and got some sun, and when the physiotherapist came along to give me another introductory course in competitive stair-climbing with crutches, he bade farewell.

Marty, you are the greatest.

15 Responses to “A cross-border ski-doo trip to hospital”

  1. March 16, 2013 at 7:34 am

    Glad to hear you were well looked after, Ian. Hope your recovery is going well. T

    • March 16, 2013 at 7:46 am

      Thanks, Charlotte! My two ladies here are taking good care of me, and now it’s a matter of keeping the leg out of harm’s way until rehab rolls around a month from now. Stitches out Monday. 🙂

  2. March 17, 2013 at 2:27 am

    Oh, that’s great, that your stitches are coming out. And you’re exactly right. When my mother broke her ankle in two places (standing in the kitchen, mind you – we still don’t know what happened) we didn’t get her to the hospital for nearly six hours, and it was two more to get the doctors and this and that… They had to put off surgery for five days while the swelling went down.

    Isn’t that amazing that I happened across your friend’s blog? So nice of him to come and visit. You look quite dashing in your robe, actually, although I confess to being most impressed with that hospital’s scenery. Around here, we think anything over a thousand feet’s pretty special.

    That trip up and down the mountain is amazing. All things considered, they seem to have considered everything. It’s a fact that you didn’t need an American-style bureaucracy gumming up the works at that point!

    • March 17, 2013 at 5:56 am

      If there was fortune in misfortune, it was to have people at every step of the way ready to help with full concentration on the task at hand and no worries about technicalities. I did have to hold back a few moments at the Swiss mountain clinic while the credit card formalities were taken care of, but aside from that, it was smooth all the way. The ambulance driver even made a slight detour on our way out of town to bring my daughter home with all our gear.

  3. March 18, 2013 at 1:28 pm

    Oh man, I was so sorry to hear about your injury! But it sounds like they’ve taken good care of you and that you’re on your way to recovery. You seem to be staying very positive throughout the ordeal.

  4. March 19, 2013 at 10:08 pm

    I’ve been swapped on the business and home front. I moved my followers to Google Reader and now have discovered that it’s been discontinued. During that time gap you were terribly injured. What a difference a week in a life can make when an injury takes place. Thank goodness there were competent people at the ready and willing to help you.

    • March 20, 2013 at 4:39 am

      They were fantastic. I still have to write them a card thanking them, but have told myself today’s the day for that.

      BTW – google reader. I look forward to you letting us know what you’re looking at as an alternative! I like RSS, hope it doesn’t go away.

  5. March 19, 2013 at 10:19 pm

    I’m only catching up now. Gute Besserung! Very sorry to hear of your misfortune and of your continuing travails. Maddening. Hope things start looking up soon. A visit from Marty certainly helps…

  6. March 26, 2013 at 5:08 pm

    I keep reading that as “I was staying in Saruman, Switzerland.”

    Good luck on the rehab; being injured sucks.

    • March 27, 2013 at 6:54 am

      Hi Steven,
      Thanks for that. I’ve been told you have to pester them or the approval could drag on for ages.

      Nothing evil about Samnaun. I’ll definitely go back for some hiking sometime, because it’s beautiful countryside, though skiing – not so sure yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

The banner photograph shows the town of Britannia Beach, BC, Canada, where I grew up. It's home. But I don't live there anymore.

My email

britbeach / at / yahoo dot ca

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 586 other followers

SUBSCRIBE! Or I’ll post again.

This blog is best consumed with a glass of wine and often a grain of salt. Take a random look:


This blog has been visited

  • 562,161 times.

A few reasons why I sometimes get homesick

1oo% Blogthings-free since January, 2007

and one last factoid about me: according to these people, i can type per minute

OK, that wasn’t the last thing on the sidebar, but this is:

%d bloggers like this: